It’s almost closing time, but there’s one thing left to do – the final walk through. Here’s what you need to do at this crucial step.
HOW TO HANDLE THE FINAL WALK THROUGH
Here you are at the end of the home buying process. It’s been a long, exciting, and sometimes frustrating ride, but there’s nothing left to do but the final walk through. This is your last chance to make sure that all the repairs have been made and that no new repairs have cropped up since the inspection. It’s also the time when you make sure all agreed upon furnishings and appliances are still in the home and that all its systems are in working order.
It seems like a lot to look over, but it will be worth it since things do happen in the moving process or while the home sits vacant before you take ownership. So, to help you with this important step, we’ve put together a checklist of all the things you should do/check during the final walk through.
A LIST OF THINGS TO BRING TO THE FINAL WALK THROUGH
As a buyer, you should bring the following items to the walk through.
- The final offer
- The inspection report
- Written agreements between buyer and seller
- A notebook
- A camera or phone to take pictures
- A small electric device to plug in to check that all outlets work
- This list of items to check
The idea behind the final walk through is to make sure everyone has satisfied the terms of the agreement and that you’re not getting into a repair nightmare.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR DURING THE FINAL WALK THROUGH
This is your last chance to make sure everything is as it should be before you take ownership of the home. Here’s what to look for.
- Have all the repairs been completed?
- Are all the agreed upon appliances, window treatments, furnishings, etc. in the home?
- Has the seller left behind any garbage, old paint, or other waste?
THE HOME’S EXTERIOR
- Are the roof and gutters in good shape?
- Is there any waste/garbage left behind in the yard?
- Are there any signs of a pest infestation such as droppings, chewed wood, etc.?
- Do the garage doors function properly?
- Is the doorbell working and the mailbox in good shape?
THE HOME’S INTERIOR
- Make sure all utilities are on and that all appliances and major systems in the home work.
- Run the fans in the bathrooms and above the stove
- Run hot and cold water faucets throughout the home. Check that there are no leaks in the plumbing beneath the sinks.
- Flush the toilets
- Check the ceiling fans and lights in every room
- Test outlets
- Look for mold
- Open/close all doors and windows and check locks
- Check every surface for damage including walls, ceilings, crown molding, etc.
- Check that all the fixtures are in place.
If everything on this list checks out during your final walk through, great! Your new home is move-in ready and you can proceed with the closing.